17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones – LB – Georgia - Scouting Report
I was tempted to give the Steelers Cordarrelle Patterson, but elected for Jones. He’s a solid fit in their 3-4 defense to help add some youth to the front seven.
18. Dallas Cowboys – Sylvester Williams – DT – North Carolina – Scouting Report
So many options for the Cowboys. Williams is a great fit in their new 4-3 defense. Kenny Vaccaro would also make a lot of sense.
19. New York Giants – Desmond Trufant – CB – Washington – Scouting Report
This isn’t an obvious need, but the Giants tend to select either defensive linemen or defensive backs in the first round – especially when there’s great value.
20. Chicago Bears – Alec Ogletree – LB – Georgia – Scouting Report
The Bears need to replace Brian Urlacher, and they need to do so with a coverage linebacker. Ogletree has character red flags, but the Bears should gamble on him.
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Eric Reid – FS – LSU – Scouting Report
This is a reach, but it fits the Bengals perfectly. They love SEC players and they usually draft for need in the first round.
22. St. Louis Rams – Kenny Vaccaro – FS – Texas - Scouting Report
This pick could happen at No. 16 or No. 22. Vaccaro is a great fit a free safety in the Rams secondary.
23. Minnesota Vikings – Manti Te’o – LB – Notre Dame – Scouting Report
I don’t understand why Te’o is a first-round pick, but the overwhelming consensus is that he fits in somewhere. The Vikings need a linebacker and they like Notre Dame prospects.
24. Indianapolis Colts – Datone Jones – DE – UCLA – Scouting Report
This is a perfect fit for Chuck Pagano’s 3-4 defense. Jones is a hybrid player for their hybrid scheme.
25. Minnesota Vikings – Justin Hunter – WR – Tennessee – Scouting Report
I’m not very confident in this pick, but Justin Hunter is going in the first round so I had to fit him in somewhere. He’s risky, but has tons of upside.
26. Jacksonville Jaguars – Geno Smith – QB – West Virginia – Scouting Report
Projected trade – In 10 years, this is the first trade I’ve projected in my final mock draft. But I didn’t have a choice if I wanted to fit two quarterbacks into the first round. I’m not confident Jacksonville will be the team, but someone will move up for Smith.
27. Houston Texans - Cordarrelle Patterson – WR – Tennessee - Scouting Report
Andre Johnson wants help at receiver and the Texans will give it to him. Patterson is the most likely option, but DeAndre Hopkins is also a possibility.
28. Denver Broncos - Tank Carradine – DE – Florida State - Scouting Report
Carradine has just one year of legitimate production and he’s coming off an injury. Those are two major red flags that could cause him to fall further, but I think his upside sneaks him into the first round.
29. New England Patriots – D.J. Hayden – CB – Houston – Scouting Report
Teams are scared by Hayden’s injury, but I think he slips in somewhere. Belichick loves to gamble on prospects, and Hayden’s athleticism would fit well in the Patriots secondary.
30. Atlanta Falcons – Jamar Taylor – CB – Boise State – Scouting Report
Jamar Taylor is probably the least likely first round pick of everyone I have in the top 32, but he seems like a perfect fit for the Falcons. They want a physical, fearless corner, and Taylor is just that.
31. San Francisco 49ers - Xavier Rhodes – CB – Florida State - Scouting Report
The 49ers are tough to figure out because of all the trade rumors. If they stay put, I think they simply target the best available player. Rhodes could be that guy.
32. Baltimore Ravens - Arthur Brown – LB – Kansas State - Scouting Report
The Ravens need a coverage linebacker and Arthur Brown is one of the best. He’s undersized, but Ozzie Newsome evaluates talent, not measurables.